Test Bank—Chapter 1 (Data Representation)
Multiple Choice Questions
1 . Which in the following Boolean operations makes the output you for the fewest volume of input patterns?
A. ANDB. ORC. XOR
2 . Which will of the pursuing best explains the NEITHER operation?
A. An XOR followed by a NOTB. An OR and then a NOT REALLY C. A NOT then a NOTC. An AND followed by a NOT
three or more. Which with the following little patterns can not be expressed in hexadecimal explication?
A. 11111111B. 1001C. 110011D. 100000000001
four. Which with the following is definitely the binary portrayal of some 5/8?
A. 100. 11B. 10. 011C. 110. 101D. 100. tips
5. Which in turn of the following bit patterns represents the value 5 in two's match notation?
A. 00011010B. 11111011C. 00000101D. 11111011
6. Which of the pursuing bit patterns represents the value -5 in two's match notation?
A. 00011010 B. 11111011C. 00000101 D. 11111011
7. By which of the next addition problems (using two's complement notation) does a great overflow error occur?
A. 0011 N. 0100 C. 1100
+ 1010 + 0100 + 1100
8. Which in turn of the following representations in two's match notation symbolizes the largest value?
A. 00000010B. 11111111C. 00000001D. 11111110
9. Which in the following little bit patterns (represented in hexadecimal notation) symbolizes a negative number in two's complement notation?
A. 7FB. 55C. A6D. 08
12. What value is symbolized by the tad pattern 01011100 when interpreted using floating-point format when the most significant tad is the indication bit, another three pieces represent the exponent field in excess notation, and the previous four parts represent the mantissa?
A. -1 .5 B. 1 1/2C. -3/8 D. 3/8
11. Which of the following values can not be stored accurately using a floating-point format when the most significant tad is the sign bit, the next three pieces represent the exponent discipline in excess mention, and the previous four portions represent the mantissa?
A. 2 1/2B. 3/16C. 7D. 6 1/4
121. Which in turn of the subsequent bit-patterns symbolizes the smallest value using the floating-point format in which the most significant tad is the sign bit, another three parts represent the exponent field in excess note, and the previous four pieces represent the mantissa?
A. 01001000B. 01011000C. 00101000D. 01111000
13. Which will of the next data storage systems supplies the most efficient unique access to specific data items?
A. Key memoryB. Magnet diskC. Optical CDs and DVDs
14. Which of the following storage area systems is most effective for keeping and locating long strings of data which might be processed in their sequential order?
A. Main memoryB. Magnet diskC. Optical CDs and DVDs
15. Which with the following mass storage program does not need physical motion?
A. Magnetic tapeB. Magnetic diskC. DVDsD. Expensive drives
of sixteen. Assuming that each of the following tad patterns actually had actually parity, which contains an error?
A. 10110100B. 11000011C. 00011000 D. 10001001
17. Just how many errors per style could be fixed when using a great error-correcting code in which virtually any two code patterns change by a Hamming distance of 8?
A. 3B. 4C. 5D. 6
18. Which will of the subsequent is a conceivable LZW compression of the concept " xyz xyz xyz”?
A. 1234B. 1234545C. 232D. 12
19. How various symbols could be encoded using Unicode?
A. 256B. 5, 096C. sixty five, 536D. one particular, 046, 476
20. Which usually of the pursuing systems is least successful when coding numeric beliefs?
A. Two's complement notationB. Excess mention